Hanley Town 2-1 Leek CSOB: Professional Performance From Hanley In Victory Over Leek CSOB

Professional Performance From Hanley In 2-1 Victory Over Leek CSOB

Goals from Danny Needham and Kie Brown gave Hanley Town the win this afternoon against an energetic Leek CSOB side in our first pre-season friendly.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors after a slick pass set their striker through on goal – Ben Chapman in goal for Hanley equal to the strike.

Hanley quickly assumed control afterwards, with Harry Good asking questions of the defence and Tim Sanders pulling the strings from midfield.

Good then in the 12th minute almost opened the scoring, taking on his man before his goal-bound shot was blocked.

Seven minutes later Hanley did take the lead after Kie Brown’s shot was flicked on from the corner by Danny Needham past the visitor’s keeper.

It was just four minutes later when Brown got his reward for his efforts, after Good took on two defenders before getting to the by-line and putting the ball on a plate for the new Hanley striker.

It could have been three not long after, when Jake Langridge rose highest to connect with a delicious corner and Brown was there to flick on his header, but he could only head the ball against the post.

Leek did grab a goal back before half-time, as Warren Holmes pulled up with a hamstring injury leaving the Leek forward to run at goal unchallenged and loft the ball perfectly over Chapman.

The second half saw Hanley field a completely new eleven, but it was a half of very little chances for both teams.

The visitors had several opportunities to get in behind, but the Hanley defence kept their concentration up and held the line well, catching the opposition offside on numerous occasions.

Substitute goalkeeper Adam Lawrence also impressed, catching every shot that was on-target as well as catching crosses very comfortably.

Experienced striker Nev Thompson had a couple of chances to kill the game off in the final ten minutes, the first saw his shot blocked and the second after he weaved in and out to make space for his shot which did not trouble the keeper.

Niall Cope came back on late in the second half, as well as Nathan Okome who also impressed playing first of all in the heart of midfield and then in the second half as a ball playing defender.

Our next friendly will be against Uttoxeter Town on Tuesday 11th August, with kick-off at 7:45pm.

First half XI

Chapman, Faulkner, Langridge, Holmes, Sheldon, Sanders, Okome, Cope, Good, Brown, Needham

Second half XI:

Lawrence, Darlington, Feeney, Langridge, Bristow, Stevens, Ashton, J.Thompson, Lewis, Barton, N.Thompson